Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Halloween Kitchen Mystery

Everyone has such clever Halloween blogs, with cool banners & ghost stories....my blog envy grows by leaps & bounds!
The only remotely spooky thing I have to offer is THE MYSTERY OF THE POTS & PANS!!
Actually, come to think of it, it was a pot & a spoon....Tonight, inanimate objects in my kitchen have decided to move about inexplicably on their own.

At the time of the Incident, the cats were all accounted for, vegging in front of the tube tonight with my hubby & me; the girly was at a play rehearsal at the college; the dogs were outside, taking care of business; the rabbit was in his bathroom and the frogs & fish minding their own business in their bathroom (well, technically in their aquarium, in their bathroom) - NO ONE (that we know of) was in the kitchen, though someone HAD left the light on (tsk,tsk) - when the pot & spoon that had been sitting on the stove (empty, thankfully), decided they just couldn't take it anymore, & decided to JUMP from the stove, onto the floor (like 2 feet AWAY from the stove)!

Now, they did have good reason to be depressed, because I am not known for my promptness in housekeeping (obviously, since we'd finished eating, yet there on the stove they sat; but still, if everything in this house that's neglected started behaving this way, it would look even more like a tornado had been thru here than it already does! (And frankly the laundry would have had much more of a reason to try to end it all - some of my husbands socks can stand on their own, I'm surprised they haven't tried to make a run for it yet!)

We do live in earthquake country, but nothing else moved...Or some sort of magnetic anomaly? Has anyone else experienced this? There may be a pandemic of pans spontaneously springing around on their own. Perhaps they've gotten ideas by us watching "Beauty & the Beast" one too many times with the grandgirlies. We do read nursery rhymes to the little ones, too - perhaps they were running away like the dish & the spoon?

I am trying to maintain a humorous attitude about this, but I have to admit, it did leave me feeling a little spooked & nervous....& really glad we'd had soup for dinner & not something requiring forks, knives or a cleaver!

Ok, on that note, you'll have to excuse me now - I have to go duct-tape the utensil drawers shut.....
(Silly as it all sounds - this really DID happen tonight! Anyone have a rational explanation, I hope?!?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things like this happen in my house too, we live in an old house and we've gotten used to things moving and going missing. Once, a psychic friend came to dinner and said 'don't worry about it, if your pets are happy, you have a well meaning ghost'.
Happy Halloween.

Anonymous said...

My god! That's quite the menagerie you've got going on there! My theory is that it's Nursery Rhyme Reactment night in the Tinker household. "hey diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such a site and the dish ran away with the spoon." But your spoon had to make do with a pot (and why not? Much more substantial and he's got a handle too!) either that, or Edna has taken to haunting you now. Any mysterious umbrella action going on?

I have to apologize... I totally intend to read your blog and get in on the know, but you have no idea how crazy busy I am at the moment. And I'm feeling hugely guilty for the time I've been putting in at my blog!!! Will catch up with you as soon as I clean my plate! (Don't worry, I'll velcro it to the table so it doesn't get any suicidal ideas!)

xo Wee

Tinker said...

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this! So far tonight, all cooking implements have behaved themselves...I did wonder if it might have been my mother-in-law , who I never actually met because she passed on many years before my husband & I met - but this WAS her house - though we've been married many years, I don't know why she'd show up now. Unless maybe my housekeeping's worse than ever & she just wanted to nag me a little! My mom's in the hereafter, too - but that's where I got my housekeeping (or lack thereof) from, so I doubt she'd complain at me. Maybe my uncle or my grandpa, they were both cooks!
Thanks for the reassurance, everybody - none of our Zoo seemed phased by it, so I guess I shouldn't either (Note to Wee - No sight of an umbrella - but it IS pretty weird this happened after I made that comment about Edna on your blog! :D)

Tinker said...

P.S. To Wee & anyone else wondering about my menagerie - my 10/12/05 blog entry, "Lost In Suburbia" kind of explains about the zoo crew.